The areas to the South East of the city were growing rapidly and up to 1960 were served by the Howick District High School which was under the control of the Auckland Education Board. Following the abnormal growth of the secondary roll at this time, the Government of June 1955 approved the establishment of a post primary school using plans prepared by the Auckland Education Board.
A site of approximately 20 acres was acquired three quarters of a mile from the District High School and in November 1957 a tender from T J Farmer Ltd in the sum of 125,515 pounds 1 shilling and 9 pence was accepted for the erection of 17 teaching units, which included an assembly hall and ancillary facilities including an administration area.
Officially the new post primary school was established as from 1 February, 1960 but because the buildings were not ready for occupation the new school commenced in the old high school buildings. Transfer to the new site was made at the beginning of Term 2 in May 1961, when control was handed to the Pakuranga College Board and then to the Eastern Secondary Schools Board.
The official opening was held on Saturday, 7 October 1961 by Minister of Education, the Hon. W Blair Tennent. The foundation principal was Mr K W Rae MA, a brother of the then Minister of Housing, The Hon. J Rae, and he had a staff of 18 members with one probationary. The roll was 428 at 1 March 1961, housed in 16 permanent and three prefabricated classrooms.
1974 – Completion of Gymnasium
1975 – New Music/Drama Block
1998 – Pamela Stone English Block opened
1999 – New Library opened
2001 – New Administration buildings completed
2003 – Jill Sweeney Science Block opened
2016 – Re-modelling of Visual Arts building
2016 – Completion of new double Gymnasium with classrooms