The areas to the South East of the city were growing rapidly and up to 1960 were served by the Howick District High School which was under the control of the Auckland Education Board. Following the abnormal growth of the secondary roll at this time, the Government of June 1955 approved the establishment of a post primary s
chool using plans prepared by the Auckland Education Board.
A site of approximately 20 acres was acquired three quarters of a mile from the District High School and in November 1957 a tender from T J Farmer Ltd in the sum of 125,515 pounds 1 shilling and 9 pence was accepted for the erection of 17 teaching units, which included an assembly hall and ancillary facilities including an administration area.
Officially the new post primary school was established as from 1 February, 1960 but because the buildings were not ready for occupation the new school commenced in the old high school buildings. Transfer to the new site was made at the beginning of Term 2 in May 1961, when control was handed to the Pakuranga College Board and then to the Eastern Secondary Schools Board.
The official opening was held on Saturday, 7 October 1961 by the then Minister of Education, The Hon. R M Algie. The foundation Principal was Mr K W Rae MA, a brother of the then Minister of Housing, The Hon. J Rae, and he had a staff of 18 members with one probationary. The roll was 428 at 1 March 1961, housed in 16 permanent and three prefabricated classrooms.
On 29 June, 1961 a tender of 48,561 pounds 10 shillings and 5 pence was accepted from D Scandrett Ltd for the erection of a modified Nelson Block of eight teaching units, and was complete for occupation at the beginning of Term 2 1962. Additional administration facilities estimated at 12,500 pounds were to follow later, also to be built by D Scandrett Ltd. They included two staffrooms, kitchen facilities, restrooms and a casualty room.
In September 1973 a tender of $65,585.56 was accepted from Agnus Construction Ltd for a gymnasium, and the Department contributed $22,500.00 towards the total cost of $69,840.00 for this project. A tender of $48,683.00 was accepted in December 1970 for a new Library.
In subsequent years items such as improvement of telephone facilities, electrical reticulation improvements, sealing of various areas, provision of a swimming pool and various other items of upgrading were undertaken.
In 1975 a Music/Drama block, Library conversion, and additions and alterations to the Administration Block were completed at a cost of $120,444.82 and in 1976 a private architect was employed to prepare drawing for a non standard two storey eight classroom blocks estimated to cost $345,021.00 which was completed in 1978. Improvements to the water supply and drainage systems have been progressively undertaken over a period of several years. An A10 pre-built was converted into an Art/Craft room in 1979 as were further Administration alterations. Technical resource areas, Drama, Music and Clothing room improvements were commenced in 1981, and Home Economics facilities were upgraded in the same year.